Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

"The days are long, but the years are short."

I wanted to share a touching video by Gretchen Rubin, author of "The Happiness Project".  Gretchen so eloquently reminds us to slow down, enjoy the journey, because the various stages only last so long.  If you're like me, the daily chores can become so repetitive and mundane.  But as Gretchen points out, they mean something to our little ones and they'll mean something to us too, when it's too late, if we don't stop and change our way of viewing things.

So when I feel bothered by having to help Colin brush his teeth and comb his hair, or when I get annoyed that Sawyer only wants "Mommy," I'll remind myself of Gretchen's words and change my attitude because I know these days are short and I'll miss hearing my baby call for his "Mommy" all too soon!




Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. What a great video and reminder, thank you for sharing! When I came back to work and was talking with a coworker who is a single Mom to a 6-year-old, she told me that someone had mentioned the phrase "the days are long, but the years are short" to her as her daughter was newborn. The phrase resonated with me then and still does, I pass it along to any friends that are new parents as I think it give you a great perspective. How fast time flies. I hope Anna remembers some the same things I remember doing with my parents, the fun, the laughter ... because no one remembers a untidy house or that you left a load of laundry in the dryer one more day before folding the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard great things about this book. I'll put it on my to read list.
    Time does go quickly--my 'baby' is 23 and getting married next month. Seems like yesterday he was a little one! Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. With school, it's so easy for me to let myself get overwhelmed with being a wife, mother, house cleaner, student, breastfeeding supplier, cook and friend.....that I become short tempered at the things that I know I will miss. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that statement is so true at the end of the clip. We all should slow down and enjoy this life we have and the people we share it with. It is all too brief.

    ReplyDelete