The depth of flavor is incredible. You obviously get the sweetness of the carrot but the coconut milk provides a creaminess, while the red curry paste adds a little heat. It's a great balance of flavors. Paired with a grilled Rachel (turkey, swiss, coleslaw) sandwich, it makes a complete meal.
Thai Red Curry Carrot Soup
- 1 lb carrots, about 6 or 7, peeled and sliced into medallions
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk, look for a brand that doesn’t have gaur gum
- 1 – 2 Tbsp red curry paste, to taste, make sure it’s Gluten Free
- Place a few drops of oil in a large saucepan, add sliced carrots, sauté on medium until the carrots start to caramelize. Add onions, sauté for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and fresh ginger, sauté for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil, simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Puree the soup mixture until it has a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Return mixture to the saucepan, add coconut milk and some of the curry paste. Stir until well blended, taste, adjust with more curry paste as needed.
- Heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat and serve with optional soup toppings if desired.
Optional Soup Toppings
- plain unsweetened yogurt or sour cream **omit for Dairy-Free & Vegan
- raw cashews, chopped
- carrot, julienne sticks
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- green onions, sliced