Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Breakfast Hash

There's a local restaurant that Wes loves for one reason, their Corned Beef Hash.  Being someone adverse to salt, I am not a fan.  The premise is fine but when it all comes together, the saltiness of the corned beef and the grease from the fried potatoes is just too much for me to stomach at 9am.  But he loves it and being the good wife that I am, I like to please my husband.

I won a cookbook from Taste and Tell several months ago entitled, "Second Helpings" by Johnnie Gabriel.  I eagerly cracked it open and was pleased to find recipe after recipe that I wanted to try.  I also appreciate that there were tons of pictures and easy to find ingredients that I typically have on hand.

One of the recipes I eyed was for Red Potato and Vegetable Hash.  Anytime I see the word 'hash' I almost feel compelled to stop and give it a second look.  I like the concept of hash with the veggies and such but I just don't like the idea of the fat and sodium content.  After looking at this particular recipe, I knew I could use this as a starting point to lighten the load, if you will.

The end result was quite tasty and likely something I'll be creating time and time again on a weekend morning.  I added bacon for the meat - a requirement for most men - and an egg on top to make it feel more like breakfast.  I paired mine with corn pancakes on the side for a FULL meal.

Breakfast Hash
adapted from Second Helpings

4-6 small to medium sized red potatoes
1/2 green pepper, roughly chopped
1/2 red pepper, roughly chopped
1 small zucchini, roughly chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
4 slices of bacon
4 eggs

Place whole, unpeeled potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, cooking al dente.  Drain potatoes in a colander and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile fry your bacon.  Remove from pan to a paper towel to absorb some of the grease.  Allow to cool slightly and crumble.  Wipe skillet and reserve for later use.

Cut the potatoes into a 1/4-inch dice.  Heat the same skillet you used for the bacon on medium-high until hot and add the olive oil.  Add the potatoes and saute until they have a nice brown color.  Don't stir too much or they will get mushy instead of browning.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  When the potatoes are browned, turn the heat down to medium and add the diced onion to the pan.  Saute the onions and potatoes until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.

When the potato and onion mixture is ready, add the peppers.  Saute and stir just enough to slightly cook the added vegetable and heat them through.  Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Mix in your crumbled bacon.

Fry eggs individually.  Top each serving of hash with a fried egg.  Enjoy!

I'm linking up with RemodelholicThe Lady Behind the Curtain, and This Chick Cooks.  TONS of great looking recipes there today!

Secret Recipe Club

3 comments:

  1. I have a salt addiction. Ha, this recipe is perfect for my slowly removing it from my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn tried the hash at Wenchell's last time we went. His verdict: okay but probably wouldn't order again. Too many other yummy options on the menu. We will have to try this at home, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just made home fries as part of a breakfast-for-dinner night earlier this week! It was so good, so I know I would love this hash =)

    ReplyDelete