Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Beer Bread Grilled Cheese

Did I get you with the title?  Sounds sinful and delicious, doesn't it?  Yes and yes.  Walk, no run, to your nearest supermarket to buy the ingredients for this bread.  Oh wait, you probably already have them all.  Carve out 5 minutes of your busy schedule to stir and in 1 hour you'll have the most heavenly tasting fresh bread ever.  And you made it! 

Beer Bread Grilled Cheese
adapted from Une-deux senses (just the name sounds fancy enough to make me want to make what they're making!)

Honey Beer Bread
Yields: 1 loaf

3 cups flour
2 tbsn. sugar
1 tbsn. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsn. warm honey (I didn't warm mine and I doubt I used 2 tablespoons either)
1 bottle (12 oz.) beer (I used a honey beer, maybe that made the difference?)
4 tbsn. butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x5" loaf pan, set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed, DO NOT OVER MIX! Pour half of the melted butter into the loaf pan. Spoon the batter into the pan and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until the top of the loaf is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Grilled Beer and Cheese Sandwich
Yields: 4 servings

4 slices fontina cheese
4 slices cheddar cheese
8 slices homemade beer bread (recipe above)

Pair up the bread slices. Top half of them with a slice of fontina cheese and the other half with a slice of cheddar cheese. Top with the other paired bread slice and grill, panini press or George Foreman the sandwiches until golden brown, cheesy, and thoroughly heated throughout.


7 comments:

  1. I should not read your recipe updates at work ... I have been craving a grilled cheese, specifically this grilled cheese, all afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll have to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Now I would like some beer cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun recipe! Gotta love recipes that call for beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, LOVE beer bread. Isn't it funny that Shawn and I both hate beer but generally love any food prepared with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm almost positive you posted this for me? Homemade bread? Cheese? I'll have that!!

    ReplyDelete