Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Caramelized Onion and Rosemary Rolls

Sometimes I take for granted that Wes and I have similar tastes.  Sure there are some things I love that he doesn't (think pumpkin!) and things he likes that I don't (think chicken wings) but for the most part, we'll eat just about anything and love to try new things.  First and foremost, I am thankful for that!  Secondly, it makes menu planning so much easier.

I had seen this recipe for Onion Rolls circulating in the blogosphere and after the second touting, I added them to our weekly menu.  Long story short, I loved them, Wes didn't.  He said he loves rolls and he loves caramelized onions but he doesn't like them mixed.  So you can either trust my taste buds or his but I was just proud they turned out because the dough was super sticky and it involved yeast.

The recipe does yield a dozen or more, so plan accordingly.  The original recipe says they freeze well and although I froze most of ours, I haven't tasted them to see how they held up.  Now that I look it up, I see it's the Pioneer Woman's recipe, so I think it's safe to trust her.  At least 10,000 other people do!

Caramelized Onion and Rosemary (minus the Rosemary) Rolls
originally from The Pioneer Woman Cooks , adapted by What's Megan Cooking, and further adapted by me

For caramelizing the onions:
1 Large Sweet Onion
1 tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced

For the Bread:
1 1/2 cup warm Water
3 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1 tablespoon Honey
3 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for coating bowl
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt

Sauté sliced onions and minced garlic in the 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook them until brown and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

Pour warm water into a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the honey and 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Stir gently with a fork and set aside until mixture is bubbly, 5-10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the caramelized onions.  Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir gently until dough is combined. It will be very sticky.

Generously flour a flat surface. Turn the dough onto your table and knead 15 to 20 times, adding flour generously to make it easier to handle. You might need to add quite a bit of extra flour. Add enough that it is able to be kneaded, but not too much - you want to the dough to still be somewhat sticky. Drizzle olive oil in a separate bowl and then add your ball of dough, turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

When the dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough into twelve portions, forming each into a rough round shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Allow to rise for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake the rolls for 18 to 20 minutes or until brown.

Makes 12 rolls. These freeze very well.

4 comments:

  1. My stomach is growling just reading this recipe! I may need to make a batch of these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. These look good. That's weird that he didn't like them. I don't see how you couldn't like them.

    Then again Eric wouldn't eat my caramel ice cream last week because it was too rich. I mean, whaaaat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onion and rosemary rolls sound like a delicious combo--thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the chicken wings.

    I also love Pioneer Woman. I think I actually learned about her through your website. Then I saw her beat Bobby Flay on Throw Down and it made me a happy person.

    You left out the rosemary? My heart just broke a little.

    ReplyDelete