Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Honesty is the best policy

If you ever want the brutal truth, consult a child. Oh sure somehow it's a little easier to take coming from such a sweet, innocent source but you still know there's some truth embedded in there.

Thanks to Colin, I had a nice, painful reminder about my post-2-year-old-body! Tonight we were decorating the Christmas tree and as a final touch, I was putting the tree skirt around the bottom. Because of the location of the tree, it takes some tricky maneuvering to get around behind the tree. Silly me, I decided to crawl under a side table instead of just climbing over it as I had done numerous times before. I guess I thought since the skirt was on the floor, I should be too. Well as I'm realizing my poor decision, Colin quickly quips, "Mommy, your butt's too big!" - emphasis on the BIG. I fell the rest of the way to the ground laughing hysterically - it was either that or cry my eyes out and I didn't want to scare the poor kid. Wes laughed and then tried to correct him. I reassured him he was just telling the truth and you can't punish him for that. One less cookie for me tonight! Oh and no picture needed for this post, I think you get the idea.

And when they're not being brutally honest, they just catch you totally off guard with what comes out of their mouths. Colin had thrown something away in the kitchen trash can and about 5 minutes later decided he wanted to get it back out and, I'm sure, eat it. So I sternly said, "Colin Reid!" With the trash can lid in one hand, he used the other hand to point to me and say "Stop thief!" I had to turn my head to keep from laughing. I'm pretty sure that's from his favorite, Dora. The good news is that he did leave the item in the trash can and thus we managed to avoid at least one random thing going in his mouth. Too bad I can't say the same thing for the random pieces of dried food he finds (and eats) from the carpet, his socks, and worst of all, his toes! Did I really just share that with you? I think that was a little too close of a look at my bad parenting skills. Seriously though, how do you stop them when they're already chewing the mysterious object? This morning was a hunk of styrofoam. Nice! I'm hoping we'll outgrow the oral stage any day now.

I love every minute of it. I wish I could just keep a tape recorder going at all times. Thank goodness for this blog so I can at least get some of the classics down. Thanks to you for listening and being a part of it!

2 comments:

  1. That made me smile!

    #1 - I doubt your butt's big at ALL.

    #2 - It was sweet of your husband to correct Colin!

    #3 - I'm with you on the random things in the mouths. Today I was putting away dishes & I thought that I had fed Pierce enough tonight when I looked over & he was eating part of his TaDoodle crayon. I was like, "what are you doing?" and quickly tried to rescue what I could but he just chewed quicker & swallowed what was in his mouth. I sent him to time out (where he hasn't been in a long while) and he cried & cried. It was so sad. When he got out of time out - he immediately came over for a hug. Then I gave him a roll. More food, fewer crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless!! One day when I wasn't really feeling like getting ready I just pulled my hair back in a ponytail, which it was still kind of short for at the time and did look a little weird. Bailey looks at me and says, "Mommy, your hair is crazy". You just have to love them!! And from the pictures I've seen, your butt is no where near big, so don't fret :)

    ReplyDelete