Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An American Classic: Chicken Pot Pie


I'm not sure my title is accurate but it seems like it would be true! As I often do, I prepared most of this dish on Sunday to make my Monday night cooking easier. The recipe is divided into 2 parts and the chicken mixture can be made an entire day ahead. The dough can also be made a day ahead, but I'd wait and bake it the next day when you're ready to eat it. This recipe comes from the September bon appetit magazine. It was featured in the section of "Family Meals", which refers to what restaurant employees eat prior to opening the restaurant. This particular recipe comes from Dahlia Lounge in Seattle. The chef claims it's one of the staff's favorites and I can see why. The crust was very delicate and buttery - yum! And the filling had tons of chicken and veggies and the sauce was quite flavorful. I would highly recommend this dish!

Chicken Pot Pie
8 servings (I think that's stretching it. I only got 5 servings)

Crust
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 T. (or more) ice water
1 egg yolk, whisked to blend with 1 T. water (for glaze)

Filling
7 T. butter, room temperature, divided
5 T. flour
2 T. olive oil
8 oz. assorted fresh wild mushrooms, sliced (I just used shitake)
1`cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 T. chopped fresh thyme
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
5 cups coarsely chopped or torn roast chicken (I used about 3 1/2-4 cups of boiled chicken breasts)
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
1/3 cup whipping cream (I lowered to 1/4 cup to try to cut some of the fat)
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley (I used about 1 T. dried parsley)

Crust/ Blend flour and salt in processor. Add butter and blend, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3 T. ice water; blend until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into rectangle. Wrap in plastic; chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment. Roll out crust on floured surface to 12x8-inch rectangle. (Good luck with this. I'm not sure if mine was harder because I left it in the fridge for 24 hours or what, but it was a bear to try to roll out.) Cut into 8 equal rectangles. Transfer to prepared sheet, spacing apart. Pierce crusts with fork, then brush with egg glaze (I omitted the egg glaze). Bake until light golden, about 15 minutes. If you skip the glaze, they won't get golden. Carefully run long sharp knife under crusts. Cool on sheet - I skipped this too because of time.
Filling/Mix 5 T. butter and flour in small bowl until smooth. Melt 2 T. butter with oil in large wide pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, celery, and carrots; saute until vegetables start to soften and brown, about 10 minutes. Add thyme and garlic; stir 3 minutes. Add wine; boil until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth; bring to simmer. Add butter-flour mixture, 1 T. at a time; whisk until incorporated and mixture boils. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, peas, cream, and parsley; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. You can make this all the day before.
Preheat oven to 425. Transfer filling to 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Carefully place crusts atop filling. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes.
Notes: If you make the filling the day before, you'll need to rewarm the mixture before adding the crust. I went ahead and put mine in the baking dish, let is cool to room temperature, put it in the fridge, and then got it out about 30 minutes before baking the next day. While I cooked the crust strips, I also stuck the dish in the oven to be warming up. Then I took both out and put the strips on top of the filling and baked it for 20 more minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Yum - what great comfort food! I have never had a pot pie that I liked, but I think it is because the only ones I've been around are the frozen/processed stuff from the grocery. This looks like a recipe we need to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete