Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Shrimp and Grits



I've referenced this Kentucky Food Blogger dinner that I attended several times.  If you've been keeping count, this makes the third (out of 5) dish that I've attempted to recreate from that dinner.  When I say that Kate and Chef Bryan know what they're doing, I'm not playing around.  I think the 2 of them could turn any carnivore into an omnivore without much arm twisting.  I honestly just can't say enough about these 2.  I want to pack them up and move them into my basement!

They love to impart spices and flavorings from around the globe and the robust flavors of their dishes reflect that love.  You may not be well versed in some of the terms and spices, but if we can find them in little old Lexington, KY, I have no doubt you'll be able to find them in your International Markets as well.  I love trying new things and new (to me) spices are no exception.  

Although I wasn't able to get the "dashi" in time for this dish, I did buy it after the fact and can't wait to try the dish again with it.  Kate advised me that if you can't find dashi, a Creole spice blend would also work.  It just won't have quite the depth of flavor.  It's hard to go wrong with grits and cheese!



Shrimp & Grits


Ingredients:

1 lb peeled and deveined Shrimp, tails on
1 cup Grits
3 ½ cup water
1 tsp Dashi
1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar
¼ cup Honey
5 T Soy Sauce
1 clove Garlic
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
olive oil
½ tsp celtic salt
2 green onions, optional

Directions:

Bring the water to a boil, stir in grits and monitor until grits absorb enough water to become thick and creamy & reach desired texture (about 5-7 minutes). Stir in dashi and grated cheddar.

For the shrimp remove shell and place in a pie pan, drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with red pepper, salt, and sliced garlic.  Place under a broiler and broil until cooked through, watching closely, about 3-5 minutes.

Whisk together soy sauce and honey, set aside.

To serve, spoon grits onto plate, top with shrimp, and drizzle with honeyed shoyu.   Garnish with green onion, if desired.

**Linking up to Whole Foods Wednesday and What's Cookin' Wednesday.
Photobucket

2 comments: