Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness - Days 22-25

I am thankful that our families live close enough that we can see them without much fuss.  My family lives about 20 minutes across town and Wes' family lives about 3 hours east of here.  While we don't get to see them as often as we should, it's nice to know they're just a short drive away.  




I am thankful that Colin and Sawyer have cousins near their age to play with.  Growing up, my sister and I did not have any relatives that were close in age (or location) and I was always envious of my friends who did.  I love the classic image of a house full of people on the holidays.  It just exudes happiness and homeyness to me.  Colin especially loves this time of year because he's guaranteed a weekend with his cousin, which means non-stop playing.  I love to watch them pick right up where they left off, even if it was 4 months ago that they last saw one another.



I am thankful for the health and wellness of my family.  Lately I have been hearing a lot of sad stories of illness and disease and it just makes me feel so lucky (blessed) that those closest to me are all happy and healthy.  My heart goes out to those that are dealing with sad news and those that are ailing.  It's these times that we take comfort in knowing there's a higher power at work here and some things are out of our control.



I am thankful that I don't have to endure the pain of the Holiday shopping rush every year.  I was one of the crazies out Thanksgiving night, standing in line at Walmart.  I had one thing I wanted and I was on a mission. Wow!  I had no idea how many people participated in the melee of Thanksgiving shopping.  I am disappointed in myself that I let consumerism invade the precious time with my family and I have vowed to never take part again.  It is hard to pass up the monetary savings, but who can put a price on the time spent with family and friends.  I somehow doubt the retail stores will miss little old me, but if we don't take a stand now, Thanksgiving will just be another day in a few years.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I went Black Friday shopping with Mom one year. We were in the Walmart parking lot at 5am. Afterwards, I told her that I hoped she enjoyed it because I was never doing it again. I left there feeling a little slimy. Now, I do participate in Black Friday---on my couch, in my pj's, with a hot beverage and a laptop. The end.

    ReplyDelete