Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lunchables: Homemade Luna Bar

I've lost track of how many times a day I hear the phrase, "I'm hungry" or "Can I have a snack?"  I knew when school started that I would need to pack a little extra protein in Colin's lunch to hold him over but I didn't want to spend $1 per Clif bar or various other protein-type granola bar.  I began searching online and it wasn't long before I found several copycat recipes.

This homemade Luna bar doesn't exactly resemble (in sight or taste) a real Luna bar but it's still very tasty and was very well received by my constantly hungry 5-year old.  This recipe is great because it makes just enough for a week, so you don't have a chance to tire of it, yet it lasts a full school week.  I also like that I can whip up a batch on Sunday and not have to think about lunch snacks again until the next week!  I need all the preplanning I can get when it comes to our busy morning schedule.


Homemade Luna Bars
adapted slightly from Chocolate Covered Katie

3 cups rice crispies
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 T. nut butter 
1/2 cup agave or brown rice syrup
1 T. chia seeds
1 T. hemp seeds
1 T. wheat germ
1-2 T. cacao nibs, optional

Mix nut butter, agave, vanilla, and salt.  Melt in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, then pur over the cereal, seeds, wheat germ, and nibs, and stir very well.  Line an 8x8 pan with wax paper or parchment and spread the mixture evenly into the pan.  Place another sheet of wax paper or parchment on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can.  Really press it down!  Freeze for at least 30 minutes before slicing.  Store in fridge.  
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment