Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Weekly Recipe: Tequila Chicken Sandwiches

I'm playing catch up a bit with my recipes.  I've lost the desire to photograph any new recipes because I'm so back logged with older ones!  In an effort to get out of that funk, I'm going to try to get with it and clear out some of these delicious delights with you.  

First up is a sandwich creation from one of my Secret Recipe Club assignments, Kita, of Pass the Sushi.  I love finding new food blogs and love even more when I love nearly every single one of their creations!  I've had to limit myself to only bookmark the ones I truly think I might make.  Kita is also has amazing photography skills, so I like to keep coming back to try to get some tips from her!

This sandwich sounded a bit odd in the making but once it hit my taste buds, it was weird no more.  Looking back at her pictures, I may have done something wrong in terms of quantities, but I assure you these sandwiches were not affected!  They were deliciously creamy, yet crunchy at the same time from the peppers.  The tequila was a perfect kick that ramped up the flavor.  I loved that they were cooked in a little foil pack but I admit to have a few trials and tribulations with the little boogers.  Next time, I think I'll omit the whole flipping step and just bake on one side - either that or not be so stingy with my aluminum foil and actually follow the folding directions.  

 
 
Tequila Chicken Sandwiches
as posted on Pass the Sushi (originally from Food Network Magazine)


  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup julienned red onion (I only used 1/3 cup)
  • 1 T mined jalapeno pepper
  • ½ cup julienned roasted red bell pepper
  • 1 double chicken breast, cooked and shredded
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 T chopped garlic
  • 2 T chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
  • 1 ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
  • ¼ cup lime juice
  • 3 ounces tequila
  • ¼ cup diced roma tomatoes, for topping
  • 4 sourdough rolls or bread, warmed
 
Layer two 15-inch sheets of heavy duty foil and fold them together around the edges to create on sheet. Repeat to make a second double-layered sheet of foil. Bend the edges of one of the sheets up 2 inches and crimp the corners so it can hold liquid.

In order, layer these ingredients on the bent sheet of foil: olive oil, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, chicken, ¼ teas salt, 1 teas pepper, garlic, cilantro, cheeses, lime juice and tequila. Place the second double-layered foil sheet on top of the ingredients and fold the top and bottom sheets together on all sides. Make sure the packed is not leaking, then refrigerate until ready to cook.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F or a grill to medium and place the foil packet in the oven or on the grill. Cook 10 minutes; flip and cook 10 more minutes. Slice the bag open and top with the tomatoes, cilantro and parmesan cheese. Serve on warmed rolls.






Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. WHat??? YUM and tequila? Okay, I cooked a whole chicken the other day and shredded it and had no inspiration for it until now. I think my husband would like these. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How am I just commenting on this? I loved that sandwich and am sorry you had problems with the foil!

    ReplyDelete