Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Sweet tooth

Hi, my name is Danielle and I'm addicted to sugar.  I wish I could say that me feel better but alas, I'm still infatuated with the white stuff.  Sugar and I go way back but our love has only intensified since being preggo with the Saw Dog.  Apparently I can't live without the dreamy sweet crystals and he feels the same about me (at least that's what I hear when he's sitting on the counter all lonely and what not).  As a result, I have a couple of recipes to share with you that will either make you a prisoner or cause The Sugar, depending on the severity of your case - in my case, I'll be consulting Wilford Brimley very soon.

First up is a classic.  Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies?  Communists?  I bet even they'd love them.  And to make them better, how about one gigantic one?!  Yes, please.  This would make good individual cookies if you swing that way.  

GIANT COOKIE

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips (feel free to splurge here - you'll really taste the difference!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Line a large (11X17-inch) baking pan with foil and press the cookie into a circle. I press my cookie into a 9-inch circle, about 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick. When it bakes, it spreads to about 11 inches, which fits perfectly onto a 12-inch round cardboard circle you can find at most craft stores.
If desired, top the cookie with M&M’s or any other garnishes. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the cookie is lightly golden brown. Let the cookie cool completely on the baking pan – this helps the cookie stabilize and set so it can be easily lifted off the pan. Once cool, gently use the foil to lift the cookie off the pan.
----------------------------------

Next is one of Wes' favorites.  I may have even used him as my excuse reason for making this - the things you sacrifice for love!  This recipe comes by way of Paula Deen and therefore you can only imagine what it's made of.  Surprisingly it doesn't have any butter, if you do as I did and use a ready-made crust.  I used a pastry crust, which I prefer, but Wes informed me he prefers graham cracker crusts, which I do not care for.  That's when it pays to be the baker!

PAULA DEEN'S PEANUT BUTTER PIE
from Paula Deen, the magazine

1/2 cup whipping cream
2 T. powdered sugar
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used an all-natural almond butter)
8 oz reduced fat (mot fat-free) cream cheese
1 (14oz) can condensed milk
prepared crust - either graham cracker or pastry

/in a small bowl, beat whipping cream on high speed until thickened.  Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.

In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth.  Add condensed milk and beat until incorporated.  Fold whipped cream in, don't over mix.

Pour into prepared pie shell and refrigerate overnight (below  is a picture of what happens when you don't allow it to sit long enough).
Patience is a virtue.  Not one I've developed yet, but a virtue nonetheless!

10 comments:

  1. Peanut butter pie is one of my all-time faves!! I routinely eat a spoonful of PB to tide my dinner hunger while cooking ... since I get the natural kind, there's no fat, right??!! This pie looks amazing and I reserve the right to blame you for the 10lbs I will likely gain from trying this recipe : )

    You are super woman, btw! Baking and taking care of two kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's usually what my refrigerated pies end up looking like too! We never wait long enough, but it always tastes just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!!!!!!!!

    Although I do have to giggle that you used almond butter in a peanut butter pie which negates the peanut butterness of it!!

    I LOVE peanut butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - those look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word Danielle!! That peanut butter pie looks heavenly!!!!! I can only imagine how yummy/fattening a Paula Dean pie is. MUST try this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle....I think I just gained 10 lbs reading this post!! OMG to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I wasn't sure if you were checking your work email & that's the only one I have, so I decided to leave a comment on your blog. I have, perhaps foolishly, left the menu planning to Shawn since this is his party. I'm sure Friday night I'll ask him what the plan is, there will be no plan, and we'll end up ordering pizza or something that I won't be happy with. If he surprises me and actually has something in mind, I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this pb pie looks so yummy!!!! i gotta make it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally going to make that peanut butter pie--that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete