Pages

Monday, November 3, 2008

Chili Pie, Oh My!

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this recipe because I'll be admitting just how easy it really is! But at the request of a reader (thank you Review Lady for your support), I'm sharing the recipe for Chili Pie. I hadn't made this since I have developed my new method of sorting/storing my recipes, so it was somewhat of a challenge to find. It was on an actual recipe card. A what?! Can you imagine, our children probably won't even know what a recipe card is! Ah, the times are a changin'.

Chili Pie (by Mr. Food - again, a little dated)

1 T. oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 lbs ground beef (I used 1 1/2 because there's always way too much)
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15oz) kidney beans, drained
2 cups (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese (again I cut back a little since I wasn't using as much ground beef)
2 T. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 package refrigerated pie crusts (yes i cheat and actually use these)

Preheat oven to 400. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Add tomato sauce, beans, cheese, chili powder, cumin, and salt; mix well. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted; set aside. Unfold a pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie plate, pressing crust firmly against the bottom and sides of the plate. Spoon beef mixture into crust. Unfold remaining crust and place it over beef. Trim the edges of crusts and pinch together to seal. Cut several slits in top crust. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until crust is golden.

2 comments:

  1. We loved this recipe! Unlike you, I have a picky eater. He usually won't even try anything new. Well this time, he ate it. We have decided to make more of an effort to expand his palate so we gave him a little bit and he loved it! He picked the beans out and ate them first- we couldn't believe it! It was yummy and a definite winner at the Justice house.

    ReplyDelete