Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Corn and Basil Tart

Summer = fresh fruits and vegetables! Enough said. Wes' favorite vegetable is corn. He tells a tale of going with a friend one summer to Michigan, where he ate some ungodly amount of corn - I'm thinking something like 10 ears! So anytime I run across a recipe that involves corn, I know he'll like it. This tart was great for both of us - crust for me, corn for Wes, and of course Mikey (aka Colin) will eat anything! This recipe is from Better Home and Gardens and I've made a few notes at the bottom of this recipe, but other than those I made it exactly as written. This one is a keeper!

Corn and Basil Tart

1/3 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half or light cream
1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1/2 cup coarsely snipped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Chopped tomato and basil (optional)

Directions
1. For cornmeal crust, in medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat until combined. Beat in 1 egg until combined. Add in cornmeal and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Form dough into a disc and wrap in plastic. Chill 30 to 60 minutes or until easy to handle.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat dough onto bottom and sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press evenly onto bottom and sides with a small glass (see note). Line pastry with double thickness of foil and bake 10 minutes; remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more.

3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl whisk together 2 eggs and half-and-half. Stir in corn, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan to serve. Sprinkle with tomato and additional basil. Makes 8 servings.

4. Note: To assure even baking, lightly press dough on bottom and up sides of the tart pan. Using the side of a small glass, roll the crust smooth on the bottom. Holding the glass upright gently press dough to the sides of the pan for a uniform edge.

My notes: I didn't have a tart pan so I used a springform pan. The liquid seeped out the bottom when I poured it in, so I wrapped the bottom in foil to contain it. Even with losing some of the liquid, it still tasted marvelous. I also did not use the full amount of basil. I probably used about 1/4 cup and to me, a basil lover, that was plenty. Fresh is key though.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try this one, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to stop posting all these yummy recipes!! Not only do I get hungry reading your blog, but it reminds me that I have absolutely no time to cook anymore now that Alexandra is here! Thanks for the posts, you'll have to let me know what your parents think of Corbett's - I cannot imagine them not loving it.

    ReplyDelete