Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

"Tis the season to be "berry"!


I apologize for the horrendous title but I just couldn't think of anything else that fit and was catchy. This is clearly the season for berries; whether it be strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or blackberries, they all seem to be plentiful and delicious right now! I had visited our local farmer's market last week and found a lonely old man who was selling blackberries, just blackberries. Partly because I felt sorry for him and partly because I wanted to taste a fresh blackberry, I asked him if I could try one. He said of course. It was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Now sure I've had plenty of blackberries from those little plastic containers that they sell at Meijer but none as sweet and soft as this one was. Going against everything I believe in, I bought a pint of these beauties for $6, GASP! They were quite tasty and I could have probably eaten the whole pint right then and there but I restrained myself since I figured each one was about 75 cents! I had been wanting to make a blueberry pie ever since I saw it on someone's blog. I thought these blackberries would be a good substitution but then I remembered that I paid $6 and thought I should savour each and every bite and putting them in a pie I've never made might not be the best way to enjoy them. Then I found another recipe for a mixed berry streusel pie. This one melded the wonderful flavors of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries all together with a lovely streusel topping. I couldn't resist so I went back to farmer's market and this time found a pint for 1/2 the price I paid earlier in the week! See why the $6 pint went against everything I believe in? I wasn't prepared enough when I purchased them originally and made an impulsive buy. These were just as plump and juicy and made a wonderful addition to my pie. This was wonderful! Even Wes, who normally doesn't prefer this kind of dessert, made a point to compliment me. The nice thing is that you can use any combination of berries that you have and it will still be delicious! Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I am not normally a pie fan, but with a topping like that, I may become a convert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and it's another use for your multitude of berries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely looking pie! I saw some berries on sale, yesterday, but I didn't buy them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That loks absolutely DELICIOUS! I LOVE berry desserts and the streusel looks so good!

    ReplyDelete