Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Yummo!

Since this is Rachael Ray's recipe in part, I had to quote her favorite word as my title. I basically took 2 different recipes and combined them into 1 fabulous cookie. I thought the recipe was perfect for the season and easy enough for anyone to try. If you haven't had pumpkin cookies for some reason, well you're crazy, but you should also rush right out and buy the ingredients to make these delightful treats. I've added a few notes to the bottom. Here's a picture of my concoction.


Pumpkin Cookies
1 stick melted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 cup flour

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
3. Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Pumpkin Icing
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 T. canned pure pumpkin puree
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pound (3-4 cups) powdered sugar

Cream butter and syrup with mixer. Add in pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add in desired amount of powdered sugar.

My notes:
- The cookie recipe makes about 30 cookies if you make each one a tablespoon full.
- Be sure to use the parchment paper. It makes life so much easier!
- I ended up cooking mine for 12 minutes, instead of the 10 that she says.
- For the icing, I only used 2 1/2 to 3 cups of sugar. The original recipe called for 4 cups but I just couldn't see making them that sweet. You will have about 1 cup of icing leftover so you might want to consider halving the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you know my complete obssession with the other pumpkin cookies you made when we lived together, so I'll definitely have to give these a try!! -Brooke

    ReplyDelete