Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Weekly Recipe: Stacked Taco Pie

I refrained from titling this what we actually call this dish, "taco pile," because somehow that just didn't sound very appealing and frankly, I was afraid it might dissuade you from wanting to try it!  The truth is, I could probably eat this every day for a week and not tire of it.  I just love the spices, the creaminess, and the heartiness.  As soon as I swallowed a bite, I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into the next one.

If you're experimenting with vegetarian or vegan cooking, this would be a good place to start.  I doubt you'd miss the meat because the tempeh masks itself as ground hamburger.  If you do try it, let me know what you think.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Stacked Taco Pie
by:  Danielle

1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 T. taco seasoning
1 package whole grain tempeh, crumbled
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 can enchilada sauce (I love Hatch!)
4 whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
1 1/2 cups vegan shredded cheddar (I love Diaya!)
3 green onions, diced

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil, crumbled tempeh, and taco seasoning and saute for about 10 minutes.

While the tempeh is cooking, heat refried beans in microwave for about 90 seconds.  Pour about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan.  Take 1 tortilla and cover with a couple tablespoons of the beans.  Place tortilla on top of enchilada sauce in pan.  Spoon 1/4 of the tempeh over the beans.  Top with 1/3 cup cheese.  Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the cheese.  Repeat layering process with remaining 3 tortillas, ending with cheese and enchilada sauce.

Cover pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated throughout.  Remove foil and allow the cheese to melt a little more on top, about 10 minutes.

Cut into wedges and top with diced green onions.  Serves 6.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment