Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Weekly Recipe: Bahn Mi Sandwiches

Not much excitement happening around here lately.  Actually there's a lot of excitement in our lives, I just haven't done a good job replicating that on this blog.  The kitchen is definitely open for business and it is the one room that is almost completely settled.  The first time I cooked in there, I found myself smiling from ear to ear.  I told a friend that it felt like there should be t.v. cameras in the next room filming my cooking segment.  If I could move my bed in there, I would.  I love it!
Sometimes recipes sound so good to me when I select them, but by the time I actually get around to making them, I'm skeptical.  Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised that the dish turns out better than I expected.  These sandwiches definitely fit the bill.  

I had never had a Bahn Mi sandwich or roll before but I have heard a lot about them.  They are part of the food truck craze sweeping the west coast, so they receive a lot of hype.  I've also seen them popping up more and more on various food blogs, so I didn't want to miss the party and I decided to try them.

I was a bit skeptical as I put the ingredients together that the little meatballs would have enough flavor.  Was I ever wrong!  Fish sauce has a lot of flavor and no, it's not fishy tasting at all.  These little treats were juicy and flavorful and the crunch from the shredded carrots and cucumber were a nice accompaniment on the sandwich.  I opted to omit the sriracha mayo spread and we never missed it.  We will definitely be having these again...soon if Wes has any say in it!
jadf

Bahn Mi Sandwiches

For the Meatballs:

1 lb. ground pork
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 green onions, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. sriracha or other hot chile sauce (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
salt & pepper


Sandwiches:
2 cups coarsely grated carrots
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
4 10″ individual baguettes or four chunks of baguette
mayo
thinly sliced cucumber (use a vegetable peeler)
fresh cilantro


In a bowl, mix together the pork, basil, garlic, onions, fish sauce, sriracha, sugar and salt and pepper and mix it all up with your hands. Roll into 1″ balls and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Meanwhile, toss the grated carrot with the rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Let sit until you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches.
To assemble, spread baguettes with mayo, if using; top with a squirt of sriracha to taste, and stuff with pickled carrots, cucumber strips, meatballs and sprigs of fresh cilantro.



3 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous, Danielle...I just discovered cooking with fish sauce too, and I love it!! Pinning this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your new kitchen! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love bahn mi sandwiches. I can't handle it with pate, but I think they're still good when substituting another meat. Hope you're loving your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete