Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'm up to my eyeballs in boxes and bubble wrap.  Wes is more nostalgic than I am, surprisingly, so the packing and purging is much more emotional for him.  I've loved the opportunity to get rid of a bunch of stuff we don't use and will never use, but it hasn't always been easy for him to let things go.  We're getting there though.

Don't be fooled, 28 days is not a lot of time to pack 34 years worth of belongings.  Add to that 3 other people's stuff and you've got a lot of work.  Part of pain has been brought on by myself because I'm such a perfectionist, I prefer to do it all myself so that it's done my way.  Letting go is something I need to work on but when it comes to breakable objects, I'm just not there yet.

Along those same lines, I came across this great post entitled, "Finding Balance in Motherhood."  It really came at just the right time for me, as I struggle with trying to do it all as a mother.  Dr. Hansen's first step is to examine your personal belief system and find out what your expectations are in terms of being a mother and wife.  That's no easy task but I'm up for the challenge.  I know I try to do too much (my stress levels tell me so) but I feel like everything I do is necessary.  I need to put pen to paper and write as Dr. Hansen suggests. 

I know I'm not SuperMom but I can't convince myself to stop trying.  What about you, how what are your expectations as a mother?

Back to checking things off my list and trying to remember every detail before closing on Friday! 

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you with packing, the move and the closing. I know how stressful this can be, especially when you have little ones. I will have to check out that link. I know exactly what you're taking about. I feel like I need to live up to a certain expectation of what a working mom should be, yet all too often, I fail. Wish I could be more laidback about it all. That's just not how I'm wired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never live up to the expectations I place on myself as a mother. My daughter will be graduating high school in a couple of years and I'm constantly conflicted about babying her while I can and giving her space to grow so she will be ready to leave when the time comes.

    Good luck on the move!

    ReplyDelete