Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Braised Cabbage

If I have a handful of readers for this one, I'll be surprised.  Remember what I suggested here, don't knock it until you try it!  Who knows, this could be a favorite with your children.  You never know what their taste buds will find appealing. 

I needed a recipe that would use up the last half of cabbage from our CSA.  This recipe seemed to fit the bill.  This paired really well with an Asian-inspired dish (post to come).  If you're looking for a simple way to use up some extra cabbage, this recipe is a winner.
 

Braised Cabbage
adapted from Never Enough Thyme

1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 of a medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 of a medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp bacon grease (or an extra tsp of olive oil)
1 cup chicken broth
dash of sesame oil, optional
salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil and bacon grease in large skillet.  Add the onions and green peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.  Add the chicken broth, cabbage, and dash of sesame oil, if using, and bring a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the cabbage is wilted - about 5 minutes.  Remove lid and continue to cook another 15-20 minutes until cabbage is tender.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of cooked cabbage. But I find it hard to believe that anything cooked in bacon grease is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cabbage. Cooked or raw, its so yummy. I will be giving this recipe a try next week! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had cooked cabbage but anything cooked in bacon grease cannot be bad!

    ReplyDelete