Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Thai Chicken Wraps

I love to read recipes and food blogs for inspiration.  You never know when something is going to spark an idea that might just turn into something delicious.  Sometimes it's the simplest things that end up tasting so good.

This was one of those divine discoveries.  I saw the idea for Asian Wraps on Yummly.  I typically glance at that email and promptly delete it but this time the idea struck a chord with me.  I clicked and read through the recipe and realized it was quick and sounded delicious.  I wasn't wild on the slaw recipe the used, so I searched my own database for a better alternative.  I found one I have been wanting to try from The Kitchn, called Crunchy Peanut Slaw.  I modified both slightly to fit what I had and to scale them down to fit our smaller family.  My version is listed below.
Thai Chicken Wraps
adapted from Yummly and The Kitchn

Chicken:
1 tsp olive oil or cooking spray
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
3/4 lb chicken, cubed

Slaw:
1 small head cabbage
3 green onions
3/4 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup canola oil
3 T. rice vinegar
1 T. sugar
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. tamari sauce (soy sauce)
salt and pepper to taste

4 whole wheat tortilla shells

For chicken:  Coat a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil or cooking spray.  Saute chicken for 2 minutes.  Add ginger and garlic and stir to combine.  Saute another 2 minutes.  Add teriyaki sauce and stir to combine.  Remove from heat.

For slaw:  Shred the cabbage very finely. The fineness of the shredded cabbage is really what makes this salad; you want it in in threads, almost, and with the threads chopped into bite-size lengths. Toss with the peanuts in a large bowl. Chop the scallions, including the green and white parts. Toss the scallions and chopped cilantro with the cabbage, seasoning very lightly with salt and pepper.

Whisk the dressing until emulsified, then taste and adjust to your own preferences of sweetness and saltiness.
Toss with the cabbage.  Note:  I made this the day before and allowed the flavors to meld overnight.


Garnish with a few more peanuts and serve.

To serve, heat tortillas slightly in the microwave.  Fill with chicken and top with slaw.  Dig in!

3 comments:

  1. Danielle, I love this and have been wondering what to do with two heads of cabbage I received in my CSA last week! Now I know...

    On another note, I noticed that you are in Lexington! If you consider yourself a "food blogger," feel free to join a group of us on Facebook. :-)

    http://www.facebook.com/groups/154501454604863?ap=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look delicious! will def need to try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! These are looking very, very good. Might have to switch it up and use my leftover egg roll wrappers. Ha!

    ReplyDelete