Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 2: Three Little Birds/Pool


We started the day at this charming little restaurant, Three Little Birds.  Thanks to the help of a fellow blogger - thanks, Carly! - we found this great little restaurant tucked away behind a shopping center.  Definitely not a tourist trap, considering our GPS had us turn into a parking lot, with the restaurant no where to be seen.  Thankfully I remembered reading that it was behind a Staples.

It was quaint, as in 10 tables or less, yet booming within 15 minutes of opening.  Thankfully, we got there as soon as they opened and were able to snag one of the only 4-person tables in the place.  The wait staff was efficient enough but had a very carefree attitude.  There was no chit-chat and no haste amongst any of them.  
The food, on the other hand, was exceptional.  The menu is eclectic without being weird, large without being overwhelming, and chock full of items that appeal to me!  As you'll see with the coming posts, I love breakfast.  I also love going to breakfast with my mom because we share the love of both sweet and savory.  We get to enjoy the best of both worlds by splitting one of each.  I've been known to order one of each when it's just Wes and I but it's much more figure-friendly to only eat 1/2 of each dish (:

Without delving into the entire menu, I'll point out some highlights.  The Huevos Rancheros was served over 2 been and cheese quesadillas that were out of this world.  How can something so simple be so delicious?  We asked for the ingredients but never received an answer.  

The granola maple pancakes were generous but not overly full of flavor.  I'm somewhat of a pancake snob and prefer my pancakes to be lighter and fluffier than these.  It could be the use of granola that weighed them down.

Some menu items listed online were not listed on their printed menu.  Perhaps the menu online is outdated (even though it lists daily specials) or perhaps those are weekday items and we went on Sunday.  Colin ordered the kids pancake that was supposed to have caramelized bananas on it.  The printed menu didn't mention it, so I asked.  She said it did, in fact, come with it, however when his plate was brought there was no banana.  I asked again and thank goodness I did because it was delicious, small, but still delicious.

We'll definitely be going back to Three Little Birds the next time we visit Charleston.

On to the pool...

Not much to say except the pool was small but adequate, Colin liked it, Sawyer did not.  As a matter of fact, Sawyer only donned his swim trunks ONE time the entire week!  
Colin got braver as the week went on.  One day he was even jumping to me without water wings or a floaty!  He loved being in the water but his favorite thing to do was to throw every one of the toys in the water and watch them sink.  That meant I, being the only able bodied adult who could immerse themselves in the water, had to retrieve them.  Luckily, the jumping replaced the novelty of the throwing.



For those of you hoping to catch a glimpse of me in the pool or ocean, it's not going to happen.  I don't have a single picture.  Wes was usually babysitting Sawyer and I don't exactly trust Colin to handle my camera.  I was there though, I promise. 
The leprechaun uniform was a hand-me-down.  I certainly know lime green and red hair don't mix. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad that you got some good food while you were down here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding this to my list of restaurants to visit while we're on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. green and red totally go together - i think he looks super cute! i love how you just tell it like it is when it comes to food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me want to go to Charleston so bad. I loved IOP when I lived down there. Mt. Pleasant was my favorite (didn't live there but wished I did...loved driving across the brige into Mt P) =)
    Glad you guys had a fun trip!!!!

    ReplyDelete