Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Preschool

Taking pictures is something I've had to learn to love.  I was never the girl in high school or college who took her camera with her for the perfect photo op.  I was always the one wishing I had remembered when everyone else was taking pictures.  I was the one who said I wanted a copy from one of the dubious ones that always seemed to have their camera with them.  And then the rare occasions I did bring my camera, it would remain in my purse or my car, where I'd forget to use it!  So it has been a real learning experience for me to actually take and use my camera.  I've learned that having it out on the kitchen counter where it can be a constant reminder, is a big help.  Since I have such a terrible memory, pictures are a necessity for me to remember things and with 2 kiddos, that's really important!


I also like to copy take cues from others.  So when I saw a mom taking pictures at Colin's meet and greet at his new preschool, the alarm went off in my head to remind me to bring a camera on his first day of school.  It also reminded me that it hadn't even crossed my mind to take pictures when he started his other school last month.  Oh well, I can't remember everything!  Plus, that is more of a daycare setting, whereas the other place is billed as a preschool.  Nonetheless, I hurried home to put the camera in my purse, so as to not forget the next week.  Yes, I carried a camera with me for 5 days just so I wouldn't forget.

This is the same preschool that I attended for kindergarten so it holds a special place in my heart.  One of my former teachers is actually still there!  My nieces have also attended this school, so it's becoming a family tradition.  Four of the 7 teachers have been there over 20 years!  For a preschool, I think that's incredible. 

Colin was very excited to start Little Elks (he quickly corrected my mom when she referred to it as Little Elk).  He got to visit his classroom and his teacher a week early and found a friend from Gymboree that was going to be in his class.  Knowing Colin's love for the ladies, I was a bit nervous that there were only 3 girl sounding names in his class but I thought maybe that would force him to make a friend that was a boy!

Here he is standing proud with his new backpack.  I have no idea what the hiked leg is all about.

He's getting better at posing for pictures and eagerly obliged with this one.  He actually told me, "Mommy, I'm not ready yet." After he got situated on the bench and his leg neatly crossed, he was ready.

He also followed directions quite well when I told him to pretend like he was going in the door and to turn around and look at me.  These are the original doors and are enormous!  I think the church has been there since the late 1800's.

His first day was a success.  Even better, he made a "boyfriend" as he called him.  Woods was his first non-girl friend!  It didn't last long though.  Today was his second day and I asked him about Woods.  He said he didn't play with him today, he played with a girl instead.  He couldn't think of her name but later told me it was Hailey.  What can I say, he's a ladies man!

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad I wasn't the only girl that always forgot her camera...or forgot to use it!! Great pictures, and those doors are beautiful! He looks like such a big boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding - Little Elks?!?! I actually attended pre-school and kindergarten at Little Elks before we moved away from Lexington! We were probably there at the same time, you were just a year ahead of me....

    The pictures are great! I always forget my camera these days - along with everything else, thanks to pregnancy brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness gracious he is SO PRECIOUS!!!!!!!! I love this!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet and what a cool family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Dee! So glad he is liking preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sweet pictures. Glad you'll have them to remind you! I love his pose on the bench - too cute. No wonder he's such a ladies man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah! my brother went to Little Elks! My granparents go to church there and my parents live right down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the most precious thing ever! I love how he is cheesing it up before school. Glad he got his first "boyfriend"--but definitely sounds like a little ladies' man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the door! I love that he posed himself - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cutie! He looks so grown-up with the back-pack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. he looks so cute, danielle! i know what church you are talking about. it's a really pretty church!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is extremely precious. I always have to carry my camera with me, because I forget mine as well! I have the worst memory in the world. Having your child go the same school as you, is very special to me!

    ReplyDelete