Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Buff!

I'm only a week late but nonetheless, Happy Birthday Mom!  You are such a wonderful, helpful, and inspirational woman.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all that you do for us.  You are one of a kind!  I can only hope to be half the woman, mother, and grandmother that you are.

To celebrate, I made her a special birthday treat.  She has always asked for an Orange Dreamsicle cake and I've never really found a recipe that met that criteria.  I've improvised in the past but when I came across this cake called "Orange Cream Layer Cake" I bookmarked it for this very occasion.  It was lighter than most cakes - in texture, not calories!  My grandmother didn't think it had any sugar in it but it certainly does.  I think it's just the fact the icing isn't traditional buttercream that threw her off.  I bought some orange extract to use in place of the orange juice concentrate and added some to all 3 components of the cake.  I think that really helped boost the flavor and I'd encourage you to do the same if you try this recipe.  (I got mine at TJ Maxx.)  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Alas, I won't be having a piece. Happy birthday to Buff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!!! That looks delicious!!! Happy Birthday to your beautiful mom!!! I hope she has a fabulous day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Mom!! I would love to know how she got the name Buff - did she pick it or did one of the little ones? My mom insists she'll just go by her first name (Pat) if she ever has grandkids : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday to your mama!! That cake looks wonderful! I love finding fun cooking products at TJ Maxx. They have the most unique specialty items! And they are so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Buff! Even though I've never met her, I feel like I know her through your extraordinary stories of her kindness.

    ReplyDelete