Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Weekly Recipe: Hodge Podge

Not even a new baby closes this kitchen!  I actually love being at home because I get more time to leisurely cook, as opposed to trying to get a meal on the table in 30 minutes (Rachel Ray lies.  It's not that easy.).  I have, however, failed in the photography department.  I'm generally too busy scarfing the food down before the next feeding to even think about snapping a picture.  However, I have found several winners over the last couple of weeks so I wanted to at least share them with you and include the links where people were more diligent in the photo department than I was.

Continuing the tradition of taking goodies to my OB's office each visit, I made these Frosted Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie Bars that I had seen several times around the web.  If you love sugar cookies and white cake as much as I do, you're sure to love these as well.  I made the icing with almond flavoring instead of vanilla because I love it.  These also keep well, covered, for about a week.  Here's the link and a stolen picture for your visual people.



The next one is a from a Taste of Home magazine that was literally like 5 years old.  I was cleaning out my cookbook stash and decided to give the magazines one last look.  I was somewhat reluctant with this one because I was afraid it would be bland but it was actually very flavorful - amazing what cheese will do!


GARDEN FRITTATA
1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup (4oz) mozzarella cheese
1 medium tomato, sliced (I omitted)
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
4 eggs
1 cup fat-free milk
2 T. minced fresh basil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the squash, zucchini and onion.  Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes or until the veggies are tender; drain well.
Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.  Top with the mozzarella, tomato and feta cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, basil, garlic, salt and pepper; pout over the cheese and tomato layer.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

I just realized there are several more but I can't find the links to them.  Once I locate them and become better organized, I'll post those as well.  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, those frosted sugar cookie bars look amazing! And with almond flavoring—yum! How sweet that you brought goodies to your OB's staff; I bet they loved your appointment days :)

    [In response to your comment...] That's interesting about your hospital's 48 hour check-out. I'm not sure if it varies from state to state, but in CA insurance companies are required to cover 48 hours, though you don't have to stay that long. I just talked to my OB & pediatrician beforehand about earliest possible discharge, and they both were supportive in making it happen!

    ReplyDelete