Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekly Recipe: Thai Chicken Slaw

Warmer weather makes my culinary mind think of more fresh fruits and veggies and trying to find a way to incorporate them into our meal plan.  Our farmers market has opened but it has very few offerings at this time.  March is just not the optimal time for fresh produce in Central Kentucky.  I read other blogs in warmer climates where their farmers markets are thriving and have wonderful selections already.  In the meantime, I'll just have to wait it out and suffice with the produce at the grocery store.

This recipe is a blend of many I've seen online over the last couple of months.  I got the dressing inspiration from an old saved recipe but a quick Google search came up with nothing.  I made so many modifications, I'll just claim this one as my own.

Thai Chicken Slaw

2 small shallots, finely chopped
1 tsp Siracha hot sauce
2 T. honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
juice of 2 lime
3 T. oyster sauce
3 T. soy sauce
1 chicken breast, grilled/roasted/poached and shredded
1 head Napa cabbage, chopped
1 red pepper, diced or sliced thinly
1 package Ramen noodles (discard flavor pack)

Preheat oven to 350.  Break up Ramen noodles and arrange in single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted.  Remove from oven and allow to cool while you assemble the rest of the slaw.  

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  In a large bowl, pour mixture over the shredded chicken, cabbage, and red pepper.  Add the cooled noodles and toss to combine.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the fresh fruits and veggies kick! Love them this time of year. That recipe looks delicious! Hopefully I can make it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ha!!! You know I have cabbage to use from my produce box - I'm making your recipe! Question - what does oyster sauce taste like? I always get freaked out by "fish" or "oyster" sauce & usually leave them out - are they fishy???

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I love thai food so much and mix it with some fresh veggies?! I'm writing down this recipe as we speak!!! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. My wife and I were just talking about trying to find it.

    thank you for sharing recipe.

    cheer

    ReplyDelete