Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year and Yummy Meatball Sub Recipe

Happy New Year's to everyone! As I said before, I'm not one to get overly excited about New Year's Eve or making resolutions. To me, this is just another day, a day off from work that is. Woo hoo! I will be celebrating the holiday in my warm and cozy bed at about 10pm. Don't be too jealous of me when you have a throbbing headache and a nice hangover tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll be taking down all my Christmas decorations, running errands, and going to the grocery. Hmm, maybe I should rethink the partying, it sounds much more exciting than my day ahead. Oh well, I'll be so glad when it's all packed up and the house is back to normal. Isn't it amazing how big your house seems after the Christmas tree and decorations come down? Even the smallest of spaces seems gargantuan once the space is bare. As a parting toast, here's hoping this year is a great one for you and be safe!

I leave you with a great and mostly healthy recipe from the magazine All You. I realize most of you probably haven't heard of this magazine but I needed to add some SkyMiles to my account and thus my subscription to some random magazines. I'm usually somewhat skeptical of recipes containing ground turkey because they tend to lack flavor. However, this one, with the addition of a little ground beef mixed in, didn't lack for anything! I modified the recipe slightly, as I didn't think I needed quite the quantity of meatballs it yielded. I'll post the original below and note my modifications in red. I served these on whole-grain hoagies from Meijer, mac-n-cheese, and sugar snap peas with mushrooms.

Turkey Meatball Subs

2 large eggs
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup chopped parsley (I used a combo of dried parsley, oregano, and basil, totalling about 1-2T.)
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs ground turkey (I used 1 1/2 lbs turkey and 1/4 lb ground beef.)
1 24-oz jar marinara (I used Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Tomato Sauce and it was exceptional!)
8 crusty sub-style rolls
2 ½ T olive oil
12 oz sliced provolone

Whisk eggs with 3 T. water. Stir in bread crumbs; let stand 5 minutes. Add Parmesan, parsley, garlic and turkey; mix gently until well combined. Moisten hands and roll mixture into 24 1 ½ inch balls. Transfer to a dish large enough to accommodate all meatballs. Refrigerate meatballs for 30 minutes (I made mine the night before and they were just fine).
Pour marinara into a wide, deep pot with a lid and warm over med-high heat. Add meatballs (sauce will not completely cover meatballs), cover and cook 10 minutes. Uncover and turn meatballs. Cover; cook 10 minutes longer, until meatballs are no longer pink inside (cut one to test). Watch the temp because mine started to burn on the bottom at this high temperature. I ended up cooking them on medium.
Preheat broiler to high. Cut rolls lengthwise and drizzle inside of each with 1 tsp olive oil. Divide cheese among rolls and place on baking sheet. Broil until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes.
Place 3 meatballs on each roll and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
This recipe yielded 19 fairly large meatballs for me. The original recipe says it yields 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment