Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Heartbreak Kid

It's happened, Colin has officially given me my first heartbreak. I knew it would happen but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Yesterday morning I was getting ready to leave for work but had a few extra minutes. Colin and Wes were in the floor playing and I went in to join them. Colin sees me and starts his pursuit towards me like he's in military combat. As Wes says, it's both funny and sad to watch him in action - it's like he wants to get to his destination so bad and he tries so hard, but it takes him so long and so much effort to get there. Once he gets to me he puts his hands up on my legs as if to say, I've made it now reward me and pick me up. Being the wet noodle that I am, I oblige him. I squeeze and kiss on him for a few minutes and then it's time for me to go. So I scoot him back over to Wes. Colin promptly turns around like, hey where do you think you're going. I stand up and as soon as I put my shoes on, the tears start flowing. My heart just sank. This was the first indication he's ever given that he actually understood that I was about to leave. So Wes stands up with him and they walk over to me. I proceed on downstairs and I hear Wes say, "Ok, we'll go downstairs and see Mommy". As I walked out the door, he just stared at me with this look like, please don't go! It was terrible! I can't take those sad, puppy dog eyes every morning. I'll be a mess before I even get to work.

I'm happy to report that this morning went much better. No tears, no sad faces, just smiles and playfulness. Hopefully that was a one-time occurance. Ok, ok, just humor me and let me believe it for a minute!

Here's a picture that has nothing to do with this story, I just wanted the opportunity to post yet another picture of Colin. This was his first real snow. He could have cared less but Grams saw the need to document it.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I'm in Louisville. Your little one is so cute. Thanks for your comment on my blog! :)
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete